May 2, 2014 10:52:27 AM
The former manager of a Columbus apartment complex has been arrested and charged with embezzlement for the second time in two months.
Amy Burke, 38, of 2651 Honnell Mill Road in Caledonia, was arrested Wednesday by the Columbus Police Department and charged with three counts of embezzlement.
CPD spokesperson Latasha Key said the arrest was related to Burke's prior arrest on one count of embezzlement in March when police said they discovered that Burke took tenants' rent payments and then converted the funds into personal money orders when she was the manager of Falcon Lair Apartments in Columbus.
Key declined to say how much money Burke is alleged to have taken, saying the incident was still under investigation and more charges are possible.
Burke was out on a $5,000 bond at the time of Wednesday's arrest. Wednesday, she received a $7,500 bond and bonded out later in the day. Her court date is set for June 19.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY