May 2, 2014 10:52:27 AM
The former manager of a Columbus apartment complex has been arrested and charged with embezzlement for the second time in two months.
Amy Burke, 38, of 2651 Honnell Mill Road in Caledonia, was arrested Wednesday by the Columbus Police Department and charged with three counts of embezzlement.
CPD spokesperson Latasha Key said the arrest was related to Burke's prior arrest on one count of embezzlement in March when police said they discovered that Burke took tenants' rent payments and then converted the funds into personal money orders when she was the manager of Falcon Lair Apartments in Columbus.
Key declined to say how much money Burke is alleged to have taken, saying the incident was still under investigation and more charges are possible.
Burke was out on a $5,000 bond at the time of Wednesday's arrest. Wednesday, she received a $7,500 bond and bonded out later in the day. Her court date is set for June 19.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators: August murder victim beaten, stabbed COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Deck collapse could prompt county building code discussions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY