May 2, 2014 10:52:27 AM
The former manager of a Columbus apartment complex has been arrested and charged with embezzlement for the second time in two months.
Amy Burke, 38, of 2651 Honnell Mill Road in Caledonia, was arrested Wednesday by the Columbus Police Department and charged with three counts of embezzlement.
CPD spokesperson Latasha Key said the arrest was related to Burke's prior arrest on one count of embezzlement in March when police said they discovered that Burke took tenants' rent payments and then converted the funds into personal money orders when she was the manager of Falcon Lair Apartments in Columbus.
Key declined to say how much money Burke is alleged to have taken, saying the incident was still under investigation and more charges are possible.
Burke was out on a $5,000 bond at the time of Wednesday's arrest. Wednesday, she received a $7,500 bond and bonded out later in the day. Her court date is set for June 19.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY