Stacey Tracy, of Cranston, R.I., comforts her daughter Emily Tracy, 4, after she found out the 3 p.m. show of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus had been canceled, Sunday in Providence, R.I. A platform collapsed during an aerial hair-hanging stunt at the 11 a.m. performance, sending eight acrobats plummeting to the ground. At least nine performers were seriously injured in the fall while an unknown number of others suffered minor injuries. Photo by: AP Photo/Stew Milne
May 5, 2014 3:49:28 PM
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- At least three performers remain in critical condition following a circus accident in Providence.
Authorities are trying to determine what caused a support frame to collapse Sunday during the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey "Legends" show at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
The accident occurred during an act in which the circus says eight performers hang "like a human chandelier" using their hair.
Rhode Island Hospital says performers Dayana Costa, Julissa Segrera and Stefany Neves were in critical condition Monday morning. Viktoriya Medeiros and Viktorila Liakhova were listed in serious condition, while Samantha Pitard, Svitlana Balanicheva and Widny Nevas were listed in good condition.
The names and conditions of three others injured in the accident have not been released.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY