May 6, 2014 10:26:11 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson police say a Hinds County sheriff's deputy has been arrested in the death of a basketball coach.
Officer Colendula Green tells WLBT TV 37-year-old Joshua Adams has been charged with murder.
Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart says 25-year-old Justin Griffin died Monday from blunt-force trauma to the head.
Assistant Chief Lee Vance says an apparent altercation started over play calls during a basketball game Sunday.
At some point during the game, Vance says Griffin got into a dispute with a referee, who was also a Hinds County deputy. As the dispute escalated, Vance says a second deputy in uniform, working security, got involved as well.
The sheriff's department says Adams has been suspended pending an internal investigation.
It was unclear whether Adams has an attorney.
1. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayoral candidate faces lunacy hearing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY