May 6, 2014 10:26:11 AM
JACKSON -- Jackson police say a Hinds County sheriff's deputy has been arrested in the death of a basketball coach.
Officer Colendula Green tells WLBT TV 37-year-old Joshua Adams has been charged with murder.
Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart says 25-year-old Justin Griffin died Monday from blunt-force trauma to the head.
Assistant Chief Lee Vance says an apparent altercation started over play calls during a basketball game Sunday.
At some point during the game, Vance says Griffin got into a dispute with a referee, who was also a Hinds County deputy. As the dispute escalated, Vance says a second deputy in uniform, working security, got involved as well.
The sheriff's department says Adams has been suspended pending an internal investigation.
It was unclear whether Adams has an attorney.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY