May 7, 2014 9:58:25 AM
BIRMINGHAM -- Sheriff's officials in Alabama say they've apprehended a suspect in Georgia after a sexual assault along Interstate 59.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said deputies responded to a reported assault near mile marker 117 in the Birmingham area on April 23.
The 34-year-old woman told deputies her car broke down, and a passing motorist in a white van stopped to help. She said he later sexually assaulted her, took her money and cell phone and left her on the roadside.
Sheriff's officials say a description of the suspect sent to law enforcement agencies across the Southeast led them to 21-year-old-Malachi Josephus Moody of Jackson, Mississippi, who was taken into custody in Georgia.
Moody is charged with first-degree rape and first-degree sodomy. It wasn't known Tuesday whether he has an attorney.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY