May 9, 2014 10:55:42 AM
NEW YORK -- ABC's Lara Spencer is apologizing for referring to Cinco de Mayo as "Cinco de Drinko" on a "Good Morning America" segment this week.
The anchor wore, then twirled, a sombrero and mentioned that the holiday was the biggest day of the year for margarita sales. She held what appeared to be a margarita.
She tweeted a day later that she got a little carried away and was sorry for the segment. MSNBC's "Way Too Early" show similarly apologized this week for showing a staff member shaking maracas and taking a swig from what was said to be a tequila bottle.
The holiday marks an 1862 battle victory by Mexican troops.
1. Wait joins Dispatch staff as new MSU reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Heiselt leaving Starkville school board, recommends Myles to post STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. SMART splits Boardtown route, adds new stops for residents STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Same-sex marriage: Local counties prepared to issue licenses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus author wins prize for legal fiction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY