May 12, 2014 9:17:16 AM
JACKSON -- A Noxubee County man is appealing his conviction in 2009 fatal shooting to the Mississippi Court of Appeals.
The case is among dozens the Appeals Court will consider during its May-June term. It will not hear oral arguments. A decision may be come later this year.
Darieous "Rico" Bryant was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for fatal shooting of 22-year-old LeMarco Tate.
The shooting happened May 2, 2009 in Shuqualak outside the Beehive Cafe. Tate was shot once in the chest and later died at Noxubee General Hospital.
In his appeal, Bryant argues prosecutors failed to produce any physical evidence linking him to the crime. He says prosecution witnesses differed on the number of shots fired and witnesses who testified were either related or close friends with Tate.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY