May 12, 2014 9:17:16 AM
JACKSON -- A Noxubee County man is appealing his conviction in 2009 fatal shooting to the Mississippi Court of Appeals.
The case is among dozens the Appeals Court will consider during its May-June term. It will not hear oral arguments. A decision may be come later this year.
Darieous "Rico" Bryant was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for fatal shooting of 22-year-old LeMarco Tate.
The shooting happened May 2, 2009 in Shuqualak outside the Beehive Cafe. Tate was shot once in the chest and later died at Noxubee General Hospital.
In his appeal, Bryant argues prosecutors failed to produce any physical evidence linking him to the crime. He says prosecution witnesses differed on the number of shots fired and witnesses who testified were either related or close friends with Tate.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY