May 14, 2014 10:14:10 AM
GREENVILLE -- A homicide investigation is underway after a fatal stabbing on the campus of a Greenville elementary school.
Susie Trigg Elementary became a crime scene Tuesday after an employee was stabbed by a non-employee.
Assistant Police Chief Delando Wilson tells WABG-TV that students at the school were never in any danger because the stabbing occurred in the parking lot. However, school officials immediately put the school on lock down to protect students, faculty and staff.
Wilson says a suspect is in custody.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson identified the victim as 43-year-old Willie Dean, III. Dean died at the emergency room of Delta Regional Medical Center from a stab wound above his stomach. His body will be sent to Jackson for an autopsy while the investigation continues into a motive.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dudy Noble video board to serve as first step in renovation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY