May 14, 2014 10:14:10 AM
GREENVILLE -- A homicide investigation is underway after a fatal stabbing on the campus of a Greenville elementary school.
Susie Trigg Elementary became a crime scene Tuesday after an employee was stabbed by a non-employee.
Assistant Police Chief Delando Wilson tells WABG-TV that students at the school were never in any danger because the stabbing occurred in the parking lot. However, school officials immediately put the school on lock down to protect students, faculty and staff.
Wilson says a suspect is in custody.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson identified the victim as 43-year-old Willie Dean, III. Dean died at the emergency room of Delta Regional Medical Center from a stab wound above his stomach. His body will be sent to Jackson for an autopsy while the investigation continues into a motive.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY