May 14, 2014 10:14:10 AM
GREENVILLE -- A homicide investigation is underway after a fatal stabbing on the campus of a Greenville elementary school.
Susie Trigg Elementary became a crime scene Tuesday after an employee was stabbed by a non-employee.
Assistant Police Chief Delando Wilson tells WABG-TV that students at the school were never in any danger because the stabbing occurred in the parking lot. However, school officials immediately put the school on lock down to protect students, faculty and staff.
Wilson says a suspect is in custody.
Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson identified the victim as 43-year-old Willie Dean, III. Dean died at the emergency room of Delta Regional Medical Center from a stab wound above his stomach. His body will be sent to Jackson for an autopsy while the investigation continues into a motive.
1. Gregory resigns from Partnership leadership position STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Columbus police department prepares house of horrors COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Leroy Brooks pushes county pay raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Are ghosts haunting the Golden Triangle? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville organizers readying annual Pumpkinpalooza STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY