May 20, 2014 10:40:21 AM
A Columbus man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty Monday to sexual battery.
Jonathan Keaton, 27, of 24 Priscilla Circle, entered his plea in Lowndes County Circuit Court in front of Judge Jim Kitchens.
Keaton was arrested in November by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department after a teenage girl claimed Keaton assaulted her. The girl was 13 years old, according to court documents. After an investigation, Keaton was placed under arrest.
Keaton was sentenced to 20 years in prison with five suspended and 15 to serve. Once released, he will have to register as a sex offender and will be on post-release supervision for five years. Keaton is also forbidden from contacting the victim.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus stabbing leaves one in hospital COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Younger claims Dist. 17 runoff COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY