May 20, 2014 10:40:21 AM
A Columbus man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty Monday to sexual battery.
Jonathan Keaton, 27, of 24 Priscilla Circle, entered his plea in Lowndes County Circuit Court in front of Judge Jim Kitchens.
Keaton was arrested in November by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department after a teenage girl claimed Keaton assaulted her. The girl was 13 years old, according to court documents. After an investigation, Keaton was placed under arrest.
Keaton was sentenced to 20 years in prison with five suspended and 15 to serve. Once released, he will have to register as a sex offender and will be on post-release supervision for five years. Keaton is also forbidden from contacting the victim.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY