Honeybees swarm the side of Main Street’s A&L Accessories in Danville, Ky., on Monday, warranting the help of Perryville bee rescue and removal experts Gary and Joyce Taylor. Photo by: AP Photo/The Advocate-Messenger, Pam Wright
May 21, 2014 10:34:06 AM
DANVILLE, Ky. -- After setting things abuzz by trapping customers in a store, a hive of honeybees has been safely removed from downtown Danville in central Kentucky.
Fire Chief Woody Ball told The Advocate-Messenger emergency crews were called Monday because customers were afraid to leave the store.
First responders quickly realized they would need help, so they called Gary and Joyce Taylor, who live in nearby Perryville and have experience in bee removal, Ball said.
"We didn't want to just hose the bees off the side of the building because they are so vital to our world's ecosystem," Ball said. "They aren't hurting anybody, and we're willing to stay here with it and let them collect the bees."
The newspaper reports the Taylors arrived to find more than a million honeybees swarming in the area.
"A queen bee died, and these bees followed another queen bee that took her place, and she's looking for a place to start a colony," Ball said. "This is where she landed and it looked like a good spot, so that's where the rest of the bees landed."
Fire crews shut down part of the road while the Taylors worked to safely collect the insects.
Although the situation had the potential to carry a sting, Ball says there were no injuries to people or bees.
"It's a good outcome for everyone," said Ball. "No one is hurt, the bees are rescued and the Taylors will have some nice honey to sell at the farmers market."
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY