May 21, 2014 10:34:47 AM
A Brooksville man was arrested Monday and charged with possession of a stolen firearm after gunfire was exchanged near an apartment complex in Columbus.
Christopher Sherrod, 24, led officers on a brief chase through Southside after a witness fingered Sherrod's vehicle in a late night shooting. Gunfire was exchanged in front of Fuqua Store and Oak Manor Apartment Complex just after 10:45 Monday night, according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department. Witnesses called 911 and said three vehicles, a red Dodge Durango, a black Honda Coupe and a silver Chevy Monte Carlo, were involved in the shooting.
When officers arrived on scene, they noticed a black Honda Coupe and attempted to talk with the driver. The driver fled the scene and led police on a short chase, Key said. The vehicle was driven by Sherrod, authorities said.
He was arrested on scene and charged with felony possession of a stolen firearm, misdemeanor possession of marijuana, suspended drivers license, failure to yield to blue lights, failure to obey a police officer and two counts of disobeying a traffic control device.
He is currently in the custody of Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on a $10,089 bond.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Habitat for Humanity provides home for beloved CHS manager COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Shots fired at Columbus Sprint Mart COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY