May 21, 2014 10:34:47 AM
A Columbus man has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries after he allegedly struck a woman with his vehicle and then fled the scene.
Dathan McCoy, 34, of 601 North Gaywood, was arrested and charged Monday. The incident occurred on Mother's Day.
According to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department, two people were walking along Bluecutt Road when they were hit by a vehicle. Witnesses on scene said the vehicle continued driving, according to a press release. The male victim was treated on scene. The female victim was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
McCoy turned himself in Monday. He was charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. His bond was set at $5,000. He bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on Tuesday afternoon.
McCoy's court date is set for July 24.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man gets 40 years for killing cousin COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY