May 21, 2014 10:34:47 AM
A Columbus man has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries after he allegedly struck a woman with his vehicle and then fled the scene.
Dathan McCoy, 34, of 601 North Gaywood, was arrested and charged Monday. The incident occurred on Mother's Day.
According to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department, two people were walking along Bluecutt Road when they were hit by a vehicle. Witnesses on scene said the vehicle continued driving, according to a press release. The male victim was treated on scene. The female victim was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
McCoy turned himself in Monday. He was charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. His bond was set at $5,000. He bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on Tuesday afternoon.
McCoy's court date is set for July 24.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY