May 21, 2014 10:34:47 AM
A Columbus man has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries after he allegedly struck a woman with his vehicle and then fled the scene.
Dathan McCoy, 34, of 601 North Gaywood, was arrested and charged Monday. The incident occurred on Mother's Day.
According to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department, two people were walking along Bluecutt Road when they were hit by a vehicle. Witnesses on scene said the vehicle continued driving, according to a press release. The male victim was treated on scene. The female victim was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
McCoy turned himself in Monday. He was charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident with injuries. His bond was set at $5,000. He bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on Tuesday afternoon.
McCoy's court date is set for July 24.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY