May 23, 2014 10:20:11 AM
GULFPORT -- Authorities say a former Harrison County deputy jail warden facing trial on sex-crime charges has died in Hinds County and his death has been ruled a suicide.
Hinds County Deputy Coroner Stephanie Meachum tells The Sun Herald 65-year-old Bobby Joe Chandler died of a shotgun wound to the torso May 17 on private property.
Chandler had been arrested March 15 in a case investigated by the Mississippi Attorney General's Office. He faced charges of sexual battery and touching of a child for lustful purposes.
Chandler was arrested in Harrison County and was held at a neighboring county jail for his safety.
Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said he fired Chandler two days after the arrest.
Chandler was released from jail March 24 on bonds of $100,000.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY