May 23, 2014 10:20:11 AM
GULFPORT -- Authorities say a former Harrison County deputy jail warden facing trial on sex-crime charges has died in Hinds County and his death has been ruled a suicide.
Hinds County Deputy Coroner Stephanie Meachum tells The Sun Herald 65-year-old Bobby Joe Chandler died of a shotgun wound to the torso May 17 on private property.
Chandler had been arrested March 15 in a case investigated by the Mississippi Attorney General's Office. He faced charges of sexual battery and touching of a child for lustful purposes.
Chandler was arrested in Harrison County and was held at a neighboring county jail for his safety.
Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said he fired Chandler two days after the arrest.
Chandler was released from jail March 24 on bonds of $100,000.
1. 30-plus employers to recruit at job fair COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Would-be CPD officer popped for DUI, other charges COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Granting excellence STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Deputies seek man who wielded AR-15 rifle at park COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville Utilities employee arrested for embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY