May 23, 2014 10:20:11 AM
GULFPORT -- Authorities say a former Harrison County deputy jail warden facing trial on sex-crime charges has died in Hinds County and his death has been ruled a suicide.
Hinds County Deputy Coroner Stephanie Meachum tells The Sun Herald 65-year-old Bobby Joe Chandler died of a shotgun wound to the torso May 17 on private property.
Chandler had been arrested March 15 in a case investigated by the Mississippi Attorney General's Office. He faced charges of sexual battery and touching of a child for lustful purposes.
Chandler was arrested in Harrison County and was held at a neighboring county jail for his safety.
Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said he fired Chandler two days after the arrest.
Chandler was released from jail March 24 on bonds of $100,000.
1. Oktibbeha man dies in weekend wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Jeb Bush to attend Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Vasquez murder: Vasquez's family responds to Martinez's release COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Carleton joins Oxford police force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Christmas festivities planned for downtown Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY