May 23, 2014 10:20:11 AM
GULFPORT -- Authorities say a former Harrison County deputy jail warden facing trial on sex-crime charges has died in Hinds County and his death has been ruled a suicide.
Hinds County Deputy Coroner Stephanie Meachum tells The Sun Herald 65-year-old Bobby Joe Chandler died of a shotgun wound to the torso May 17 on private property.
Chandler had been arrested March 15 in a case investigated by the Mississippi Attorney General's Office. He faced charges of sexual battery and touching of a child for lustful purposes.
Chandler was arrested in Harrison County and was held at a neighboring county jail for his safety.
Harrison County Sheriff Melvin Brisolara said he fired Chandler two days after the arrest.
Chandler was released from jail March 24 on bonds of $100,000.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY