May 23, 2014 10:20:46 AM
A Louisville woman was killed in Lowndes County early Thursday morning when she was hit by a car while walking along Highway 182 near the Highway 45 Alternate exit.
Sharonica Puckett, 27, was struck by a 2002 Dodge pickup driven by 27-year-old Charles Mays, also of Louisville, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Authorities say Puckett was walking along the roadway after the car she had been a passenger in broke down.
The accident occurred around 1:30 a.m., law enforcement officials said. Puckett was pronounced dead on scene. Mays was not injured.
No charges have been filed, although the incident is still under investigation by MHP.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY