May 23, 2014 10:20:46 AM
A Louisville woman was killed in Lowndes County early Thursday morning when she was hit by a car while walking along Highway 182 near the Highway 45 Alternate exit.
Sharonica Puckett, 27, was struck by a 2002 Dodge pickup driven by 27-year-old Charles Mays, also of Louisville, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Authorities say Puckett was walking along the roadway after the car she had been a passenger in broke down.
The accident occurred around 1:30 a.m., law enforcement officials said. Puckett was pronounced dead on scene. Mays was not injured.
No charges have been filed, although the incident is still under investigation by MHP.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspects lead police on chase through two counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. County pushes city to relax Cornerstone regulations STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY