May 27, 2014 10:55:49 AM
SMITHVILLE -- An ATV accident has claimed the life of a Smithville teenager.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal 16-year-old Clay Lee Thompson was driving a four-wheeler westbound on Pearce Chapel Road Sunday night when he lost control and ran into the woods and down an embankment.
Gurley says there was another teen on the four-wheeler who went for help. The passenger went to a nearby residence and called the Monroe County Sheriff's Department.
He says deputies were able to locate the wreckage and found the body of Thompson, who died at the scene from a head injury.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hattiesburg passes over SOCSD official for superintendent STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY