May 27, 2014 10:55:49 AM
SMITHVILLE -- An ATV accident has claimed the life of a Smithville teenager.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal 16-year-old Clay Lee Thompson was driving a four-wheeler westbound on Pearce Chapel Road Sunday night when he lost control and ran into the woods and down an embankment.
Gurley says there was another teen on the four-wheeler who went for help. The passenger went to a nearby residence and called the Monroe County Sheriff's Department.
He says deputies were able to locate the wreckage and found the body of Thompson, who died at the scene from a head injury.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY