May 27, 2014 10:55:49 AM
SMITHVILLE -- An ATV accident has claimed the life of a Smithville teenager.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal 16-year-old Clay Lee Thompson was driving a four-wheeler westbound on Pearce Chapel Road Sunday night when he lost control and ran into the woods and down an embankment.
Gurley says there was another teen on the four-wheeler who went for help. The passenger went to a nearby residence and called the Monroe County Sheriff's Department.
He says deputies were able to locate the wreckage and found the body of Thompson, who died at the scene from a head injury.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Documents: Nicholas seeks tourism rebate for hotel, won't pursue local TIF funds STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY