May 27, 2014 10:56:01 AM
LEXINGTON -- A prison system warden was shot and killed by her nephew at a family gathering in Holmes County.
Sheriff Willie March tells WLBT-TV Fay Ann Noel was struck in the chest with a 20-gauge shotgun.
Witnesses say that her 25-year-old nephew, Kenneth Lee Williams, fired the shot that killed the 58-year-old.
March says Williams fled the scene, but was later arrested at the hospital when he was brought there by a relative for treatment.
Williams is charged with murder.
March says Noel worked for the state Department of Corrections for about 25 years. Department records list her as a warden at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY