May 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM
MADISON -- Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop says a 20-year-old man has been charged with murder in the May 21 slaying Jackson State University professor Garrick Shelton.
Waldrop says in a news release that Melvin Joshua Potts was arrested Tuesday in Jackson.
Potts is being held in the Madison County Detention Center without bond pending an initial court appearance.
The body of Shelton, who had been stabbed to death, was found by relative in his Madison home. Officials say a family member went to check on Shelton after he missed work that day.
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY