May 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM
MADISON -- Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop says a 20-year-old man has been charged with murder in the May 21 slaying Jackson State University professor Garrick Shelton.
Waldrop says in a news release that Melvin Joshua Potts was arrested Tuesday in Jackson.
Potts is being held in the Madison County Detention Center without bond pending an initial court appearance.
The body of Shelton, who had been stabbed to death, was found by relative in his Madison home. Officials say a family member went to check on Shelton after he missed work that day.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hainsey still optimistic about acquiring westbound air service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY