May 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM
MADISON -- Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop says a 20-year-old man has been charged with murder in the May 21 slaying Jackson State University professor Garrick Shelton.
Waldrop says in a news release that Melvin Joshua Potts was arrested Tuesday in Jackson.
Potts is being held in the Madison County Detention Center without bond pending an initial court appearance.
The body of Shelton, who had been stabbed to death, was found by relative in his Madison home. Officials say a family member went to check on Shelton after he missed work that day.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY