May 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM
MADISON -- Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop says a 20-year-old man has been charged with murder in the May 21 slaying Jackson State University professor Garrick Shelton.
Waldrop says in a news release that Melvin Joshua Potts was arrested Tuesday in Jackson.
Potts is being held in the Madison County Detention Center without bond pending an initial court appearance.
The body of Shelton, who had been stabbed to death, was found by relative in his Madison home. Officials say a family member went to check on Shelton after he missed work that day.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY