May 28, 2014 9:53:39 AM
MADISON -- Madison Police Chief Gene Waldrop says a 20-year-old man has been charged with murder in the May 21 slaying Jackson State University professor Garrick Shelton.
Waldrop says in a news release that Melvin Joshua Potts was arrested Tuesday in Jackson.
Potts is being held in the Madison County Detention Center without bond pending an initial court appearance.
The body of Shelton, who had been stabbed to death, was found by relative in his Madison home. Officials say a family member went to check on Shelton after he missed work that day.
1. Father of woman charged with providing New Hope teen alcohol speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Hilton: Hospital report filled with misleading data STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Charlie Burgin, local singing legend, dies at age 69 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. City hires public defender for Municipal Court COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus honors four outstanding citizens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY