May 28, 2014 9:54:07 AM
Kale Scott, 19, was charged with one count of murder Tuesday for his alleged role in last week's fatal shooting at the Columbus Fairgrounds.
Scott's bond was set at $1 million, according to Latasha Key with the Columbus Police Department.
Investigators claim Scott pulled out a gun during a graduation party at the Columbus Fairgrounds on May 23 shortly after midnight and began shooting during an argument.
Devin Montgomery, 21, suffered a gunshot wound to the back during the incident and was later pronounced dead at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle, according to Lowndes County coroner Greg Merchant.
Another person was shot in the leg and treated at the hospital for non-life threatening injuries, Merchant said.
Interim Police Chief Tony Carleton said Scott turned himself in to authorities at roughly 6 p.m. Sunday. He was booked at approximately 6:15 p.m. at the Lowndes County Detention Center.
No other suspects have been named in connection to the incident.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY