June 10, 2014 10:32:14 AM
JACKSON -- A Republican congressman from north Mississippi is recovering from brain surgery.
Rep. Alan Nunnelee of Tupelo had the surgery Monday at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center to remove a small mass found on his brain.
A statement released by Nunnelee's office says family members indicate the surgery went well and that Nunnelee is resting comfortably.
Spokeswoman Elizabeth Parks has said Nunnelee is expected to be out of his office for several weeks.
Nunnelee was hospitalized in May after experiencing nausea and fatigue, with doctors finding what Nunnelee describes as an "isolated" intracranial mass on the right side of his brain.
The 55-year-old says staff will keep him informed of legislative business during his recovery.
First elected to the U.S. House in 2010, Nunnelee is seeking re-election.
1. Mayoral candidate faces lunacy hearing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Jackson enters Ward 4 council race COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY