June 11, 2014 10:21:03 AM
Dr. Brian Anderson will become the new dean of the College of Arts & Sciences at Mississippi University for Women.
Anderson is currently professor of political science and chair of the Department of History, Political Science and Geography. He will assume his new duties July 1, pending approval by the state Board of Trustees, Institutions of Higher Learning, according to MUW.
Anderson is succeeding Dr. Thomas Richardson, who is now interim provost and vice president for academic affairs.
Anderson holds a bachelor's degree in foreign affairs from the University of Virginia and master's and doctoral degrees in political science from Pennsylvania State University. He has been chair of the Department of History, Political Science and Geography at MUW for five years.
"Dr. Anderson brings outstanding academic and administrative credentials and a record of distinguished scholarship and teaching to his new role," MUW President Jim Borsig said. "He is eminently qualified to provide leadership for the seven departments that make up the college."
The college he will lead, in addition to his current department, includes art and design; communication; languages, literature and philosophy; music; science and mathematics; and theatre, according to the university.
During his time at MUW, Anderson has been recognized as Faculty Member of the Year, as well as the MUW faculty honoree for the state's annual Higher Education Appreciation Day. He also has been MUW's Humanities Faculty Member of the Year, an annual honor presented by the Mississippi Humanities Council.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected shooter's family says lover's quarrel led to incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Highway 50 shutting down tonight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY