June 13, 2014 10:46:35 AM
A Columbus man has been arrested for rape and breaking and entering.
Jonathan Cosell Jefferson, 30, of 186 Lehmberg Rd., was arrested Wednesday by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department after a Columbus woman claimed she was raped early Tuesday morning.
According to Investigator Tony Cooper, a woman called 911 Tuesday and claimed Jefferson broke into her Yorkville Road apartment and raped her. Cooper said Jefferson and the victim knew each other.
The victim went to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where she underwent a rape kit. Jefferson was arrested Wednesday night and charged with rape and burglary-breaking and entering into a dwelling. He received a $5,000 bond and bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on Wednesday night. His court date is set for Nov. 10.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cold case arrest brings closure to family COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY