June 13, 2014 10:46:35 AM
A Columbus man has been arrested for rape and breaking and entering.
Jonathan Cosell Jefferson, 30, of 186 Lehmberg Rd., was arrested Wednesday by investigators with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department after a Columbus woman claimed she was raped early Tuesday morning.
According to Investigator Tony Cooper, a woman called 911 Tuesday and claimed Jefferson broke into her Yorkville Road apartment and raped her. Cooper said Jefferson and the victim knew each other.
The victim went to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where she underwent a rape kit. Jefferson was arrested Wednesday night and charged with rape and burglary-breaking and entering into a dwelling. He received a $5,000 bond and bonded out of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on Wednesday night. His court date is set for Nov. 10.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Bucket-list rides STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY