June 16, 2014 12:16:30 PM
MERIDIAN -- The father of a Lauderdale County Sheriff's deputy is charged with arson in a March 12 fire that destroyed his son's house.
Sheriff Billy Sollie says Deputy Jason Wiggins and his family were out of town when the fire broke out, but his patrol car was at the house in the Russell community.
Sollie says his office asked state investigators to handle the case. Sollie says the investigation resulted in the indictment of 50-year-old James William Wiggins. The elder Wiggins was arrested Thursday and released on his own recognizance.
The sheriff says the state fire marshal's office and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation will move forward with prosecution.
An online directory did not show a Lauderdale County listing for James Wiggins. It was not clear whether he has an attorney.
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected shooter's family says lover's quarrel led to incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Highway 50 shutting down tonight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mayor, city employee raises rescinded COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY