June 17, 2014 10:56:58 AM
DELTONA, Fla. -- A central Florida man who weighs about 450 pounds faces multiple charges after sheriff's deputies say he hid cocaine and 23 grams of marijuana under his "stomach fat."
According to a news release, a Volusia County sheriff's deputy stopped a vehicle Friday after noticing that the passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
Officials say 42-year-old Christopher Mitchell told the deputy that he's too big to wear a seatbelt. The deputy says he requested a drug-detecting dog because Mitchell and the driver appeared nervous. The dog detected the presence of drugs in the vehicle.
In addition to the drugs on Mitchell, deputies say they also found a handgun and $7,000 in cash in the vehicle.
Mitchell and the driver were arrested. It was not clear whether Mitchell has an attorney.
1. Joint drug task force hits ground running COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man pleads guilty to robbing railroad worker COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Sheriff's office investigating former Caledonia teacher for sexual misconduct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Eagles flourish in Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Inaugural MUW Symposium plays to overflow crowds, rave reviews COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY