June 21, 2014 10:05:30 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi Congressman Alan Nunnelee's staff says the lawmaker's speech is improving but he continues to have difficulty with mobility on the left side of his body nearly two weeks after brain surgery.
His office said Friday that the 55-year-old Republican will continue speech and mobility rehabilitation for about another two weeks in Texas. After that, he will go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland, for radiation, chemotherapy and outpatient treatment.
Surgeons at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston removed a small mass from Nunnelee's brain June 9. He has been undergoing rehabilitation at TIRR Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston. It's the same place then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords underwent rehab after she was shot.
Nunnelee, of Tupelo, was first elected to Congress in 2010 and is running again.
1. CMS exhibits culture of giving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex park ranger gets 5 years for child exploitation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus woman dies in car crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. GSDP board silent on CEO resignation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY