June 26, 2014 10:49:35 AM
PASS CHRISTIAN -- Harrison County authorities say a 65-year-old old Pass Christian man was seriously injured while making explosive devices to keep trespassers off his property.
Sheriff Melvin Brisolara tells The Sun Herald Drayton Wayland Smith severely injured his left hand Sunday night when one of the devices malfunctioned at his home.
He says investigators learned Smith was making devices that used live shotgun rounds and trip wires when a malfunction occurred.
Smith was taken to a hospital for treatment and was released Monday.
Brisolara said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is assisting in the investigation.
No charges have been filed at this time.
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY