June 26, 2014 10:49:35 AM
PASS CHRISTIAN -- Harrison County authorities say a 65-year-old old Pass Christian man was seriously injured while making explosive devices to keep trespassers off his property.
Sheriff Melvin Brisolara tells The Sun Herald Drayton Wayland Smith severely injured his left hand Sunday night when one of the devices malfunctioned at his home.
He says investigators learned Smith was making devices that used live shotgun rounds and trip wires when a malfunction occurred.
Smith was taken to a hospital for treatment and was released Monday.
Brisolara said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is assisting in the investigation.
No charges have been filed at this time.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY