June 26, 2014 10:49:52 AM
The investigation into the Lowndes County Tax Assessor's Office by the state auditor's office is closed, according to state officials.
The Office of State Auditor was investigating the tax assessor's office for unpaid property taxes from 2009 and 2010.
Wednesday, state officials confirmed they received a check from Lowndes County Tax Assessor Greg Andrews that afternoon in the amount of $11,662.11. Andrews said Wednesday morning he had submitted a personal check Monday in the amount of $7,140.
"As Tax Assessor/Collector, Andrews' office failed to collect late payment penalties on real property taxes," Brett Kittredge, communications director for the state auditor's office said via email Wednesday. "A breakdown of Andrews' repayment includes $7,180.95 for uncollected penalties, $292.75 in interest and $4,188.41 in investigative costs."
Kittredge said his office first sent a letter to Andrews on June 16.
Andrews has said he takes "full responsibility" for the errors.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. West Lowndes principal resigns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU Student Association slams religious freedom bill STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Columbus cheer squads competing in national event COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man charged after gun in church incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Pentagon targets air base surplus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY