July 1, 2014 10:16:51 AM
STARKVILLE -- The Starkville Police Department issued arrest warrants for three men allegedly tied to a counterfeit check scam and warned businesses to be on the lookout for bogus payroll checks stemming from a legitimate contracting business.
Felony warrants were issued for two Starkville men -- Gabriel Petty, of 401 Murdock Lane, and Robert Earl Robertson, of 1645 Blackjack Rd. -- and Tommy Lamar Davis, of 3850 Memorial Dr., Apartment B8, Decatur, Georgia, after the three bogus checks at local businesses, an SPD release stated.
The counterfeit checks appear to be valid -- they bear the correct contact information for Performance Contractors Inc. -- but were not authorized by the company. Since the business has issued legitimate checks, SPD says check-cashing establishments should contact the business and verify the check.
Anyone with information on this scam should is urged to contact SPD at (662) 323-4131.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY