July 1, 2014 10:16:51 AM
STARKVILLE -- The Starkville Police Department issued arrest warrants for three men allegedly tied to a counterfeit check scam and warned businesses to be on the lookout for bogus payroll checks stemming from a legitimate contracting business.
Felony warrants were issued for two Starkville men -- Gabriel Petty, of 401 Murdock Lane, and Robert Earl Robertson, of 1645 Blackjack Rd. -- and Tommy Lamar Davis, of 3850 Memorial Dr., Apartment B8, Decatur, Georgia, after the three bogus checks at local businesses, an SPD release stated.
The counterfeit checks appear to be valid -- they bear the correct contact information for Performance Contractors Inc. -- but were not authorized by the company. Since the business has issued legitimate checks, SPD says check-cashing establishments should contact the business and verify the check.
Anyone with information on this scam should is urged to contact SPD at (662) 323-4131.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Father of parking lot shooting victim speaks out COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected shooter's family says lover's quarrel led to incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Teen arrested and charged with capital murder, arson COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus, Starkville ranked among state's most exciting cities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Highway 50 shutting down tonight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY