July 2, 2014 10:27:58 AM
SAN DIEGO -- Police say a 12-year-old boy who died from a gunshot wound at a Boy Scout camp in San Diego brought the handgun with him from his hometown of Las Vegas.
San Diego County coroner's investigators performed an autopsy Tuesday, but neither they nor police would say whether the shooting was self-inflicted or accidental.
Police Lt. Mike Hastings tells the Los Angeles Times the gun wasn't registered. Initial reports said he was shot in the head, but police now say it was the upper torso.
U-T San Diego reports that the group of 20 Scouts whose chaperones included the boy's father had arrived from Las Vegas on Sunday and had intended to stay until Saturday.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD releases further information on superintendent candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Photos: Budweiser Clydesdales in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Air Force base set to host air show COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY