July 2, 2014 10:27:58 AM
SAN DIEGO -- Police say a 12-year-old boy who died from a gunshot wound at a Boy Scout camp in San Diego brought the handgun with him from his hometown of Las Vegas.
San Diego County coroner's investigators performed an autopsy Tuesday, but neither they nor police would say whether the shooting was self-inflicted or accidental.
Police Lt. Mike Hastings tells the Los Angeles Times the gun wasn't registered. Initial reports said he was shot in the head, but police now say it was the upper torso.
U-T San Diego reports that the group of 20 Scouts whose chaperones included the boy's father had arrived from Las Vegas on Sunday and had intended to stay until Saturday.
1. Columbus stabbing leaves one in hospital COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Younger claims Dist. 17 runoff COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY