July 2, 2014 10:27:51 AM
ABERDEEN -- Former Monroe County sheriff's deputy Danny Earl Starks will be sentenced July 14 after pleading guilty to charges that he punched a handcuffed suspect during an arrest while on duty in October 2012.
Records in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen show Starks pleaded guilty this past week before U.S. Magistrate David Sanders. Starks pleaded guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law. The misdemeanor charge carries a sentence of one year in prison and/or a $100,000 fine.
Court records show the incident occurred when Starks responded to a domestic violence call and, after restraining the suspect, was spat upon. The suspect was in handcuffs when Starks hit the man in the head and face with his fists.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY