July 2, 2014 10:27:51 AM
ABERDEEN -- Former Monroe County sheriff's deputy Danny Earl Starks will be sentenced July 14 after pleading guilty to charges that he punched a handcuffed suspect during an arrest while on duty in October 2012.
Records in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen show Starks pleaded guilty this past week before U.S. Magistrate David Sanders. Starks pleaded guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law. The misdemeanor charge carries a sentence of one year in prison and/or a $100,000 fine.
Court records show the incident occurred when Starks responded to a domestic violence call and, after restraining the suspect, was spat upon. The suspect was in handcuffs when Starks hit the man in the head and face with his fists.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS