July 3, 2014 11:43:36 AM
Starkville officers are searching for the last of three alleged payroll check scammers after two men were arrested Tuesday.
Gabriel Petty, of 401 Murdock Lane, and Robert Earl Robertson, of 1810 Hwy. 12 W., were arrested after Starkville Police Department issued numerous felony warrants for false pretense.
Both were processed and transported to Oktibbeha County Jail.
Robertson's bond was set at $25,000, and he will appear before Starkville Municipal Judge Rodney Faver on Aug. 4. Petty's bond was set at $55,000, and his court date was scheduled for July 28.
Warrants were issued for the duo and Tommy Lamar Davis, of 3850 Memorial Drive, Apartment B8, Decatur, Ga., after the three allegedly cashed bogus checks at local businesses, an SPD release stated Monday.
Law enforcement agents are still looking for Davis, who is now living in Starkville. He has been seen driving a four-door, 1998 Buick Park Avenue with 20-inch rims, according to a SPD release, and sometimes goes by "Corey" or "Black."
SPD warned businesses to be on the lookout for payroll checks issued by Performance Contractors Inc., a legitimate, business. The counterfeit checks appear to be valid - they bear the business' correct contact information - but were not authorized by the company.
Check-cashing establishments should contact the business and verify the check's authenticity before cashing it.
If you have any information on Davis' location, call SPD at (662) 323-4131 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at (800) 530-7151.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Wait joins Dispatch staff as new MSU reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Heiselt leaving Starkville school board, recommends Myles to post STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. SMART splits Boardtown route, adds new stops for residents STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Same-sex marriage: Local counties prepared to issue licenses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus author wins prize for legal fiction COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY