July 4, 2014 12:42:21 AM
LEAKESVILLE -- An inmate who escaped the blueberry farm at South Mississippi Correctional Institution is back in custody.
The state Department of Corrections said 35-year-old Matthew Tucker was picked up shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday near the Greene County prison. Tucker had fled the prison Tuesday while on a work detail at the farm.
Commissioner Christopher Epps thanked the public and the prison's officers "for not giving up until Tucker was back behind bars."
Tucker was still wearing his state-issued green and white striped pants with a white T-shirt when officers captured him inside brush on Old Avera Road.
Tucker, who will face an escape charge, had been serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping of a minor from Coahoma County.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY