July 4, 2014 12:42:21 AM
LEAKESVILLE -- An inmate who escaped the blueberry farm at South Mississippi Correctional Institution is back in custody.
The state Department of Corrections said 35-year-old Matthew Tucker was picked up shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday near the Greene County prison. Tucker had fled the prison Tuesday while on a work detail at the farm.
Commissioner Christopher Epps thanked the public and the prison's officers "for not giving up until Tucker was back behind bars."
Tucker was still wearing his state-issued green and white striped pants with a white T-shirt when officers captured him inside brush on Old Avera Road.
Tucker, who will face an escape charge, had been serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping of a minor from Coahoma County.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY