July 4, 2014 12:42:21 AM
LEAKESVILLE -- An inmate who escaped the blueberry farm at South Mississippi Correctional Institution is back in custody.
The state Department of Corrections said 35-year-old Matthew Tucker was picked up shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday near the Greene County prison. Tucker had fled the prison Tuesday while on a work detail at the farm.
Commissioner Christopher Epps thanked the public and the prison's officers "for not giving up until Tucker was back behind bars."
Tucker was still wearing his state-issued green and white striped pants with a white T-shirt when officers captured him inside brush on Old Avera Road.
Tucker, who will face an escape charge, had been serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping of a minor from Coahoma County.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hitting the road: Bulldog fans pour into OKC for tonight's Sweet 16 matchup against Washington STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Bond denied for O-Kay Foods shooting suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY