July 4, 2014 12:42:21 AM
LEAKESVILLE -- An inmate who escaped the blueberry farm at South Mississippi Correctional Institution is back in custody.
The state Department of Corrections said 35-year-old Matthew Tucker was picked up shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday near the Greene County prison. Tucker had fled the prison Tuesday while on a work detail at the farm.
Commissioner Christopher Epps thanked the public and the prison's officers "for not giving up until Tucker was back behind bars."
Tucker was still wearing his state-issued green and white striped pants with a white T-shirt when officers captured him inside brush on Old Avera Road.
Tucker, who will face an escape charge, had been serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping of a minor from Coahoma County.
1. West Point PD makes third arrest in August altercation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes awaits same-sex marriage ruling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mill development on pace for June completion STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators: August murder victim beaten, stabbed COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Younger wins District 17 runoff COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY