July 8, 2014 10:29:02 AM
The local division of the Mississippi Highway Patrol issued 36 DUI citations over the Independence Day holiday weekend.
According to MHP Troop G spokesperson Criss Turnipseed, the local patrol division issued 36 DUIs citations and 983 enforcement citations. Locally, MHP investigated 11 accidents involving injuries to five people, but no fatalities.
There were, however, seven deaths from accidents state-wide. Turnipseed said the number of fatalities was the highest he has seen in recent years.
"It was a very busy weekend, accident wise and investigations wise," he said. "As far as totals, we have seven killed across the state in one weekend. That's about the highest we've seen. That was pretty monumental there."
Turnipseed attributed the number of citations issued to the hard work of the 35 highway patrolmen who worked the holiday weekend.
"The Starkville district guys got out and really hustled and did their best to make an impact on the safety around here," he said. "We're proud of the effort our guys put out this weekend."
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY