July 9, 2014 10:52:17 AM
An Ohio-based media company is expected to finalize a deal at the end of this year that will acquire MetroCast Communications' state-wide operations.
Block Communications Inc. will acquire MetroCast Mississippi, a subsidiary of the Frazer, Pennsylvania-based Harron Communications, by the end of 2014, the company announced Tuesday. The takeover's specifics were not disclosed, and the deal is still dependent on local municipalities approving the transfer.
Almost 100,000 customers in 16 Mississippi counties, including Oktibbeha County, receive Internet or cable services from MetroCast Mississippi. Red Bay, Ala., is also served by the company.
Starkville officials said franchise agreements with the company should proceed as normal despite the sale.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Sunday morning wreck claims three lives COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 3 die in Lowndes County crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. No-jangles: Starkville Bojangles closes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Hickman begins his first day as Columbus schools superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photo: No fuel, no rocket COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY