February 18, 2009
STARKVILLE -- Starkville High School Principal Kathi Wilson submitted her resignation this morning to school district Superintendent Judy Couey.
Wilson''s resignation is effective June 30. She did not indicate her reason for leaving or her future plans, Starkville School District public information officer Nicole Thomas said.
Calls to Wilson were not immediately returned this morning. Wilson was the first woman to be named the school''s principal on April 14, 2005, although she officially began work July 1 of that year.
"Mrs. Wilson has spent the past four years of her professional career at SHS, and I wish her the best as she pursues her future career plans," Couey said in a statement.
Wilson''s career at SHS hasn''t been without controversy. Wilson was found guilty in May 2006 for assaulting SHS teacher Lisa Vickers.
Wilson''s resignation is not official until it is approved by the Starkville School District board of trustees. The next board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 24.
Couey plans to begin the process of searching for a new principal for the 2009-2010 school year immediately.
1. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Missing Starkville woman returns home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY