February 18, 2009
STARKVILLE -- Starkville High School Principal Kathi Wilson submitted her resignation this morning to school district Superintendent Judy Couey.
Wilson''s resignation is effective June 30. She did not indicate her reason for leaving or her future plans, Starkville School District public information officer Nicole Thomas said.
Calls to Wilson were not immediately returned this morning. Wilson was the first woman to be named the school''s principal on April 14, 2005, although she officially began work July 1 of that year.
"Mrs. Wilson has spent the past four years of her professional career at SHS, and I wish her the best as she pursues her future career plans," Couey said in a statement.
Wilson''s career at SHS hasn''t been without controversy. Wilson was found guilty in May 2006 for assaulting SHS teacher Lisa Vickers.
Wilson''s resignation is not official until it is approved by the Starkville School District board of trustees. The next board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 24.
Couey plans to begin the process of searching for a new principal for the 2009-2010 school year immediately.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SFD investigating Walmart fire as arson STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY