July 10, 2014 11:03:56 AM
Caledonia aldermen have agreed to a restructuring of its park department that will result in three part-time employees overseeing maintenance and operations rather than one full-time parks director.
Mayor Bill Lawrence said the board agreed unanimously after a meeting held mostly in executive session Tuesday to hire Lisa Mims as director of operations of the 11-acre Ola J. Pickett Park. Mims will receive $1,000 a month.
Two temporary maintenance employees who stepped in after the departure of former director Allan Glenn June 2. Those employees, Doc Perkins and Jack Thomas, will continue to maintain the park on a part-time, as-needed basis for $10 an hour, Lawrence said.
"It's a much more efficient way to get the job done," Lawrence added.
Glenn, who had been director of the park since May 1, 2013, first indicated to Lawrence that he would be leaving July 31. Lawrence reported to the board June 3 during its regular monthly meeting that he had submitted his resignation effective immediately. The park director salary was $25,000 a year when Glenn took the job. No reason was given for his departure.
Nathan Gregory covers city and county government for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus mayoral race gets ugly COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man gets life in prison for capital murder of Lowndes teen COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ceco property sold to investment group COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. E-911 workers get ultimatum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Young gets 50 years for 2015 gas station shooting STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY