July 11, 2014 10:35:05 AM
Starkville officers arrested a man after gunshots were fired during a welfare check Thursday.
Chadwick Lee Eaves, no age listed, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer, and his bond was set by Justice Court Judge Jim Mills at $50,000 per count.
At approximately 3:30 a.m. Thursday, SPD responded to 271 Reed Road for a welfare check. Upon arrival, an SPD press release states, officers learned a firearm was allegedly in Eaves' possession. Officers identified themselves at the scene and were fired upon before entering the building, the release states.
It is not known how many shots were fired. Officers apprehended Eaves, the release states, once he ran out of ammunition.
He was subsequently transported to the Oktibbeha County Jail and awaits his initial appearance before Starkville Municipal Court Judge Rodney Faver.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY