July 11, 2014 10:35:05 AM
Starkville officers arrested a man after gunshots were fired during a welfare check Thursday.
Chadwick Lee Eaves, no age listed, was charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer, and his bond was set by Justice Court Judge Jim Mills at $50,000 per count.
At approximately 3:30 a.m. Thursday, SPD responded to 271 Reed Road for a welfare check. Upon arrival, an SPD press release states, officers learned a firearm was allegedly in Eaves' possession. Officers identified themselves at the scene and were fired upon before entering the building, the release states.
It is not known how many shots were fired. Officers apprehended Eaves, the release states, once he ran out of ammunition.
He was subsequently transported to the Oktibbeha County Jail and awaits his initial appearance before Starkville Municipal Court Judge Rodney Faver.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CPD officer on paid leave after fight COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Fire destroys New Light Road home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'Programming is problem solving': Local senior conducts STEM camp for girls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY