July 23, 2014 10:14:47 AM
JACKSON -- Gov. Phil Bryant says in a new video that some in Washington have compared Mississippi to an old jalopy but he intends to drive full throttle toward economic recovery.
The Republican Governors Association says Tuesday that Bryant's new three-minute video is part of its "American Comeback" series to promote the role of GOP leaders.
Bryant, son of diesel mechanic, says in his video that he grew up watching his dad get old cars back into running order. He carries that theme into talking about the state's economy, noting the unemployment rate has dropped since he became governor.
Mississippi's rate was 10.6 percent when Bryant took office in January 2012. It was 7.9 percent in June. Bryant doesn't mention in the video that the latest rate was worst in the nation.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Former coach pleads guilty to sex crime with student COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Arrest report 5-4-16 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha County picks industrial park plan, pledges $7M toward development STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY