July 23, 2014 10:14:47 AM
JACKSON -- Gov. Phil Bryant says in a new video that some in Washington have compared Mississippi to an old jalopy but he intends to drive full throttle toward economic recovery.
The Republican Governors Association says Tuesday that Bryant's new three-minute video is part of its "American Comeback" series to promote the role of GOP leaders.
Bryant, son of diesel mechanic, says in his video that he grew up watching his dad get old cars back into running order. He carries that theme into talking about the state's economy, noting the unemployment rate has dropped since he became governor.
Mississippi's rate was 10.6 percent when Bryant took office in January 2012. It was 7.9 percent in June. Bryant doesn't mention in the video that the latest rate was worst in the nation.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY