July 23, 2014 10:14:47 AM
JACKSON -- Gov. Phil Bryant says in a new video that some in Washington have compared Mississippi to an old jalopy but he intends to drive full throttle toward economic recovery.
The Republican Governors Association says Tuesday that Bryant's new three-minute video is part of its "American Comeback" series to promote the role of GOP leaders.
Bryant, son of diesel mechanic, says in his video that he grew up watching his dad get old cars back into running order. He carries that theme into talking about the state's economy, noting the unemployment rate has dropped since he became governor.
Mississippi's rate was 10.6 percent when Bryant took office in January 2012. It was 7.9 percent in June. Bryant doesn't mention in the video that the latest rate was worst in the nation.
1. Spears: CMSD tax hike unnecessary COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Higgins: $150 million project eying Lowndes Port COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD officer involved in fight to go before city council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. MSU horticulture student gains experience at Smith Landscaping COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two sessions planned on proposed tax increases COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY