July 24, 2014 10:06:44 AM
A Meridian man died in Lowndes County Thursday when his SUV was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler.
Deon Herlong, 31, from the Meridian/Lauderdale area, died from blunt force trauma after his 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe was rear-ended at the intersection of Highway 45 and Primrose Road, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant. Herlong and the 18-wheeler were both headed north at the time of the accident. The incident occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. Herling was pronounced dead on scene, Merchant said.
The 18-wheeler belonged to Columbus Scrap Metal. The driver of the 18-wheeler, Jeremy Holliman, was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with minor injuries, according to Criss Turnipseed with the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Merchant said Herlong was in town for a job interview.
An investigation is ongoing.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY