July 24, 2014 10:06:44 AM
A Meridian man died in Lowndes County Thursday when his SUV was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler.
Deon Herlong, 31, from the Meridian/Lauderdale area, died from blunt force trauma after his 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe was rear-ended at the intersection of Highway 45 and Primrose Road, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant. Herlong and the 18-wheeler were both headed north at the time of the accident. The incident occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. Herling was pronounced dead on scene, Merchant said.
The 18-wheeler belonged to Columbus Scrap Metal. The driver of the 18-wheeler, Jeremy Holliman, was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with minor injuries, according to Criss Turnipseed with the Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Merchant said Herlong was in town for a job interview.
An investigation is ongoing.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Starkville moms embark on project that looks through the lens of autism STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. CPD investigates northside shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Former CIA operative urges citizen engagement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. One killed, one severely injured in house fire COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. After nearly disappearing, local meth arrests make comeback COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY