July 25, 2014 9:59:16 AM
A Crawford toddler died Thursday following a one-car accident that occurred earlier in the week.
Tanyla Allen, 3, of Crawford, died Thursday at a hospital in Jackson, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant. The child died from head trauma, Merchant said.
Allen was involved in a one-car accident that occurred Tuesday evening around 7 p.m. on Main Street in Crawford. According to Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley, Allen's grandmother, 40-year-old Pamela Harkin, also of Crawford, claims she suffered a seizure and momentarily blacked out, causing her to lose control of her vehicle and flip. The child and the grandmother were transported to Oktibbeha County Hospital by family members in a private vehicle, Merchant said.
Harkin was treated and released while the child was then airlifted to Jackson.
Allen died Thursday at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Carter's Funeral Services is handling the arrangements. They were incomplete as of press time.
The accident remains under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY