July 26, 2014 10:48:25 PM
An Oktibbeha County man was detained Friday after a New Light Road shooting injured another man.
As of press time Saturday, charges had not yet been filed against 33-year-old Wayne Monts, of Maben, after an alleged confrontation occurred over misidentified property.
Oktibbeha County deputies received a report about 8:30 p.m. Friday that said subjects had followed what they believed to be a stolen four-wheeler to 734 New Light Road. At least one gunshot was fired during the incident, and a man was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.
The victim was subsequently treated and released from the hospital by Saturday morning.
Deputies detained Monts at the scene and turned the investigation over to MBI since he is married to a county employee.
MBI was still conducting interviews with residents involved in the incident Saturday and had yet to formally press charges.
It is unknown how many shots were fired during the confrontation. OCSD did not release any further details Saturday.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two arrested in weekend robbery, car chase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY