July 28, 2014 3:05:04 PM
D'IBERVILLE -- Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove says searchers have found the body of a 21-year-old man who walked backward into a river rather than face a traffic stop.
He says an autopsy will be performed Monday on James Dwight King of D'Iberville (dee-EYE-ber-vil).
King's body was found Sunday afternoon near the spot where he went in Saturday.
D'Iberville police spokesman Clay Jones tells The Sun Herald that King fled from a traffic stop, stopped his truck on a bridge, and walked backward into the Tchoutacabouffa (CHOO'-tuh-kuh-BUH-fuh) River while officers talked to him.
Chief Wayne Payne says officers tried unsuccessfully to get him to leave the water. They dove in after King began to struggle, shouting that he could not swim. He went under before they could reach him.
1. Old Hickory grill man does it for the love COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Jeb Bush to attend Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha man dies in weekend wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Carleton joins Oxford police force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Vasquez murder: Vasquez's family responds to Martinez's release COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY