August 1, 2014 10:28:25 AM
The population in the Golden Triangle will boost dramatically in the coming weeks as college students descend on the area. As hundreds of students move into dorm rooms at Mississippi University for Women and Mississippi State University, local volunteers are needed to lend a hand.
At MSU, volunteers are needed for the annual Movin' You to MSU move-in day on Aug. 9. Students will check in at Humphrey Coliseum and McCarthy Gym. According to university officials, volunteer duties include helping at check-in, moving boxes from cars to rooms, greeting students and directing traffic.
MUW's move-in day is also Aug. 9. Volunteers are needed from noon until 5 p.m.
Sirena Cantrell, MUW's Dean of Students and Director of Housing and Student Life, said she is expecting 300 students to move-in that day.
Cantrell is asking community members to help students and their family member's move boxes from cars into dorm rooms as a way of welcoming them to Columbus.
"It helps them get acclimated to the community and meet community members instead of just The W faculty staff and members," Cantrell said. "It also helps members of the community meet the new students.
"It shows the students that The W is a part of the community. We're a part of the city and the city is willing to help the students and we work together to show that relationship."
The W is also accepting water bottle donations for volunteers, Cantrell said.
To volunteer at MUW, contact Cantrell at 662-329-7127. Those interested in volunteering at MSU can call 662-325-2137.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY