August 4, 2014 10:35:35 AM
A Saturday morning argument over a man sent two women to the hospital and one to jail.
Courtney Gillespie, 27, of Macon, and an unidentified victim got into an altercation over Gillespie's child's father Saturday around 8:45 a.m. at the man's Crawford home, according to investigator Eric Granderson with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department.
While the two were arguing, each was struck with a knife. The victim had "numerous cuts" over her body, Granderson said, while Gillespie sustained injuries to the side of her face, her arm and her wrist. Granderson is not releasing what kind of knife was used in the incident.
The victim was transported via ambulance to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle for her injuries where she underwent surgery.
Gillespie went to the hospital in a private vehicle where she was treated and released. She was arrested by investigators as soon as she left the hospital, Granderson said.
Gillespie was charged with aggravated assault. She is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center awaiting bond. The victim will not face charges, Granderson said.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY