August 4, 2014 10:35:35 AM
A Saturday morning argument over a man sent two women to the hospital and one to jail.
Courtney Gillespie, 27, of Macon, and an unidentified victim got into an altercation over Gillespie's child's father Saturday around 8:45 a.m. at the man's Crawford home, according to investigator Eric Granderson with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department.
While the two were arguing, each was struck with a knife. The victim had "numerous cuts" over her body, Granderson said, while Gillespie sustained injuries to the side of her face, her arm and her wrist. Granderson is not releasing what kind of knife was used in the incident.
The victim was transported via ambulance to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle for her injuries where she underwent surgery.
Gillespie went to the hospital in a private vehicle where she was treated and released. She was arrested by investigators as soon as she left the hospital, Granderson said.
Gillespie was charged with aggravated assault. She is currently in the custody of the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center awaiting bond. The victim will not face charges, Granderson said.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Habitat for Humanity provides home for beloved CHS manager COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Shots fired at Columbus Sprint Mart COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY