A mobile home fire on Downs Road took the life of a Lowndes County woman this morning. Photo by: Andrew Hazzard/Dispatch Staff
August 11, 2014 10:02:31 AM
A Lowndes County woman is dead following a mobile home fire this morning.
Coroner Greg Merchant said the incident happened about 3:30 a.m. at 369 Downs Rd., in north Lowndes County. Neighbors heard an explosion and saw the mobile home engulfed in flames, according to Merchant.
Emergency responders, after extinguishing the fire, found a female victim in the home's kitchen area. It was unclear if the woman was trying to escape, Merchant said, but he added that there was a door within several feet of her body.
The body is being sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
A neighbor at the scene this morning identified the victim as Gwen Robinson. She lived alone with four cats, the neighbor said.
Merchant declined to release the woman's name, however, pending notification of family.
She lived alone, Merchant said, and was the only person at home at the time.
District 2 volunteer firefighters and EMT's with Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle responded to the scene.
The Lowndes County Sheriff's Department and the state fire marshal are investigating.
Dispatch reporter Andrew Hazzard contributed to this report.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lincoln collection lands at MSU STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY