August 12, 2014 11:14:08 AM
The victim of Monday morning's fatal house fire on Downs Fire has been identified.
Gwen Roberson, 46, of 522 Downs Rd., died when her mobile home caught fire, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion around 3 a.m. Monday before seeing the mobile home fully-engulfed in flames. Roberson's body was discovered in the kitchen, several feet away from a door. Roberson, who lived alone, was the only one at home at the time, Merchant said.
Her body is being sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Last two antebellum homes in Starkville for sale; one could be torn down STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. MDOT unveils Highway 82 interchange improvements COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council approves $232K in employee raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. College View, 550 Russell projects moving forward STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Authorities arrest drive-by shooting suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY