August 12, 2014 11:14:08 AM
The victim of Monday morning's fatal house fire on Downs Fire has been identified.
Gwen Roberson, 46, of 522 Downs Rd., died when her mobile home caught fire, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion around 3 a.m. Monday before seeing the mobile home fully-engulfed in flames. Roberson's body was discovered in the kitchen, several feet away from a door. Roberson, who lived alone, was the only one at home at the time, Merchant said.
Her body is being sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY