August 12, 2014 11:14:08 AM
The victim of Monday morning's fatal house fire on Downs Fire has been identified.
Gwen Roberson, 46, of 522 Downs Rd., died when her mobile home caught fire, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion around 3 a.m. Monday before seeing the mobile home fully-engulfed in flames. Roberson's body was discovered in the kitchen, several feet away from a door. Roberson, who lived alone, was the only one at home at the time, Merchant said.
Her body is being sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Father' time: MSU fans take fathers, sons on first pilgrimages to CWS in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY