August 12, 2014 11:14:08 AM
The victim of Monday morning's fatal house fire on Downs Fire has been identified.
Gwen Roberson, 46, of 522 Downs Rd., died when her mobile home caught fire, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant.
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion around 3 a.m. Monday before seeing the mobile home fully-engulfed in flames. Roberson's body was discovered in the kitchen, several feet away from a door. Roberson, who lived alone, was the only one at home at the time, Merchant said.
Her body is being sent to Jackson for an autopsy.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police searching for suspect in death of Starkville woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY