August 13, 2014 10:36:18 AM
JACKSON -- West Nile Virus has claimed its first Mississippi victim of 2014.
The state Department of Health said Tuesday that a Yazoo County resident died from the mosquito-borne illness earlier this month, providing no further details about the victim.
The state is also reporting a new case of West Nile Virus in Wilkinson County. So far this year, seven cases of West Nile have been reported. Beyond the Wilkinson and Yazoo cases, one person apiece has been infected in Adams, Hinds and Newton counties. Two people have been infected in Rankin County.
The Department of Health only reports laboratory-confirmed cases to the public.
In 2013, Mississippi had 45 confirmed West Nile cases and five deaths. In 2012, the state had 247 cases and five deaths.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY