August 16, 2014 10:43:59 PM
William Browning has moved to an interim managing editor position with The Commercial Dispatch.
Former managing editor Slim Smith will focus on writing editorials, columns and feature pieces for the paper.
Browning has served as The Dispatch news editor since July 2013.
As interim managing editor, Browning oversees the newsroom and is responsible for guiding news and sports coverage. He will continue to write his Thursday business column and other occasional stories.
"I believe in local news with depth. I believe in fairness as much as I do accuracy," Browning said. "I hope the public feels free to call or visit me at the office most afternoons."
Browning, 34, is a Greenwood native. The 2007 University of Mississippi graduate previously worked as a reporter covering the U.S. Navy for the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville, Florida; as a crime reporter at the Casper (Wyoming) Star Tribune (2009-2012); and as news editor at the Greenwood (Mississippi) Commonwealth (2007-2009).
"William is thoughtful and knows the techniques behind good reporting," said Dispatch general manager Peter Imes. "He'll continue working with our reporters in our push toward more in-depth local coverage."
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Five arrested in suspected fraud operation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville could settle Pride lawsuit this week STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY