August 20, 2014 10:50:22 AM
An inmate who escaped from the Clay County Jail nearly two month ago was apprehended in Indiana on Monday.
Marquis Dajuan Boyd, 23, of West Point, was captured in Anderson, Indiana, according to jail records with the Clay County Detention Center.
Boyd was apprehended by U.S. Marshals after a car chase and a foot chase, according to Clay County Sheriff Eddie Scott. He was in Indiana staying with relatives, Scott said.
Boyd escaped from the Clay County jail June 11 while on yard duty by crawling under a fence, scaling a building and then jumping over the outer perimeter fence, according to Scott. He was in custody for three counts of armed robbery and a previous escape charge. At the time of his escape, Boyd had not yet been sentenced on the charges.
After his escape, Boyd's mother, Tonya Boyd Edwards, who lives in Clay County, was arrested for concealing or harboring an escapee, according to Scott.
Scott said Boyd would be extradited back to Clay County in the coming days.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. First Vote: A Dispatch special series COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY