August 21, 2014 10:34:17 AM
AMORY -- Voters in Amory will decide Oct. 14 whether to legalize the sale of alcoholic beverages.
WTVA-TV reports the town's Board of Aldermen set the referendum date this week after completion of a petition drive.
Supporters say the sale of alcoholic drinks would help local businesses. Opponents believe legalization would diminish the Monroe County town's quality of life.
While liquor sales in Amory now are prohibited, alcohol sales are legal in Aberdeen, the county's other larger municipality.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Motorcycle wreck claims Lowndes man COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY