August 21, 2014 10:34:17 AM
AMORY -- Voters in Amory will decide Oct. 14 whether to legalize the sale of alcoholic beverages.
WTVA-TV reports the town's Board of Aldermen set the referendum date this week after completion of a petition drive.
Supporters say the sale of alcoholic drinks would help local businesses. Opponents believe legalization would diminish the Monroe County town's quality of life.
While liquor sales in Amory now are prohibited, alcohol sales are legal in Aberdeen, the county's other larger municipality.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Boykin files federal suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Upcoming bills aimed at renaming GT highways COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY