August 21, 2014 10:34:17 AM
AMORY -- Voters in Amory will decide Oct. 14 whether to legalize the sale of alcoholic beverages.
WTVA-TV reports the town's Board of Aldermen set the referendum date this week after completion of a petition drive.
Supporters say the sale of alcoholic drinks would help local businesses. Opponents believe legalization would diminish the Monroe County town's quality of life.
While liquor sales in Amory now are prohibited, alcohol sales are legal in Aberdeen, the county's other larger municipality.
1. West Lowndes principal resigns COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU Student Association slams religious freedom bill STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Columbus cheer squads competing in national event COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man charged after gun in church incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Pentagon targets air base surplus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY