August 21, 2014 10:34:17 AM
AMORY -- Voters in Amory will decide Oct. 14 whether to legalize the sale of alcoholic beverages.
WTVA-TV reports the town's Board of Aldermen set the referendum date this week after completion of a petition drive.
Supporters say the sale of alcoholic drinks would help local businesses. Opponents believe legalization would diminish the Monroe County town's quality of life.
While liquor sales in Amory now are prohibited, alcohol sales are legal in Aberdeen, the county's other larger municipality.
1. Oktibbeha man dies in weekend wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Jeb Bush to attend Egg Bowl STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Vasquez murder: Vasquez's family responds to Martinez's release COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Carleton joins Oxford police force COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Christmas festivities planned for downtown Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY