August 21, 2014 10:34:38 AM
The Starkville Police Department arrested two men following separate burglary incidents on Carver Drive this week after officers stepped up patrols in the area.
SPD increased its presence in the area after the number of reported automobile burglaries recently spiked.
Douglas Wayne Erwin, 21, of 1426 Louisville St., apartment 25D, Starkville, was arrested after he was stopped on foot Monday. He was charged with one count of auto burglary after it was discovered several area vehicles were burglarized.
Erwin was processed and transported to Oktibbeha County Jail. His bond was set at $20,000 by Starkville Municipal Judge Rodney Faver.
He is currently on probation with the Mississippi Department of Corrections for similar crimes, according to an SPD release.
One day later, SPD was dispatched to the area for an in-progress residential burglary. Officers determined the suspect was still on foot in the area and arrested Shaston Carea Irons, of 444 South Strong St., Derma, after obtaining a description of the suspect.
Irons was also processed and transported to the county jail. His initial appearance in municipal court was scheduled for Wednesday.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY