August 21, 2014 10:34:48 AM
The former choral director and public relations officer for the Columbus Municipal School has been indicted for exploitation of a child.
Michael Jackson, 31, was indicted by a grand jury on July 28. He was arraigned in Lowndes County Circuit Court Thursday.
Jackson was arrested in February after he allegedly sent sexually explicit messages via text and social media to a 17-year-old student, according to investigators. Jackson taught music at Columbus Middle and Columbus High School. He lost his job with CMSD following the allegations.
Jackson's trial date is set for Nov. 12. He is being represented by Christopher Kitchens.
He received a $10,000 bond.
Jackson could not be reached for comment.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Lowndes Narcotics Unit searching for 10 suspects COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. The accidental entrepreneurs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Dak Prescott acquitted of DUI, speeding STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Two arrested in Motel 6 robbery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville man arrested for statutory rape COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY