August 21, 2014 10:34:48 AM
The former choral director and public relations officer for the Columbus Municipal School has been indicted for exploitation of a child.
Michael Jackson, 31, was indicted by a grand jury on July 28. He was arraigned in Lowndes County Circuit Court Thursday.
Jackson was arrested in February after he allegedly sent sexually explicit messages via text and social media to a 17-year-old student, according to investigators. Jackson taught music at Columbus Middle and Columbus High School. He lost his job with CMSD following the allegations.
Jackson's trial date is set for Nov. 12. He is being represented by Christopher Kitchens.
He received a $10,000 bond.
Jackson could not be reached for comment.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. UPDATE: Boykin files suit against Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Turner responds to lawsuit claims COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CPD honors life-saving officers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY